From the start, we will help ensure your ACF program is consistent with the Guide for the Care and Use of Lab Animals and provide resources, guidance, and advice to investigators, scientists, EHS staff, and ACF staff for biosafety, chemical safety, humane treatment of animals, and ACF operations.
Physical Plant Set-up
We facilitate the initial setup to ensure you meet regulatory compliance while operating efficiently. Cage options, related equipment, and materials storage are selected according to:
Animal Care Facility (ACF) Programs
Set-up initial program for consistency with the Guide for the Care and Use of Lab Animals; and hands-on implementation for ABSL1 and ABSL2.
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees
- Initial set-up and ongoing implementation of all functions of IACUC of oversight
- Tailor the ACF Safety Manual (as described by the BMBL)
- Provide a system and initiate the first sentinel program
- Develop and deliver ACF new employee and annual training including procedures and policies, and worker safety
- Create and train on disaster plans
- Review husbandry techniques and advise on best practices
- Develop husbandry procedures, policies, recordkeeping, and documentation
- Develop systems for purchasing and receiving animals
- Liaison with the veterinarian as needed
- Develop SOPs specialized for cleaning ACF and facility maintenance procedures, policies, recordkeeping, and documentation
- Decontaminate and prepare facility for animals
Permitting and Compliance
Be prepared for initial IACUC meetings and IACUC facility audits by having Safety Partners regularly review animal protocols. Your investigators, scientists, EHS staff, and ACF staff will have resources, guidance, and advice for biosafety, chemical safety, humane treatment of animals, and other ACF operations.